Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Independent.

Posted in by Amber Rae | Edit
Ok so this "cohencides" (the o.c. joke lol) with my others post, interior/exterior from a few days ago.

Well, some of my friends came back from college for Spring Break, and we sorta had a little reunion. It was my group from my freshman year in high school. After that year, we all sort of split up...some with the dancers, some with the drama club, some with the football team, and I with the basketball team. Anyway, we all got together...you'd think it would be awesome right? Totally normal and relaxed? I thought so too, but I was wrong.

Of course I was happy to see all of them, and it was great to catch up, but something was missing. At first I couldn't figure it out. Then I noticed halfway through the day was that we all seemed so different yet the same still. Part of it was all the college talk. Dorms, parties, drinking, frats, sororities, etc. I felt somewhat left out since I commmute to school ad there are no dorms or parties.

Then I was talking to Kim a night or 2 after and it just hit me. Based on the "inside/outside" post I put up before, I relied on my friends. Trusted them with my life. They practically were my lifeline. They still are in a sense, but not in the sense you'd think. I figured out that I didn't need them like before. As much. I didn't have to depend on them like before. I mean you all know by now how much I care about friends and all that, but I finally became my OWN person. Friends will always be part of me, they are all that I am along with my family.

"Family isn't blood. It's love"

At the beginning of the year, I continued to be paranoid and afraid of life. I thought I wouldn't be able to handle going to school or being without friends. Seeing them everyday to NOT seeing them for months takes its toll. But getting involved with SGP has really helped me. I mean I've met all of you wonderful people in a matter of months, weeks, days, and minutes and I know you'll always be here for me, vice versa, and we ALL will be here for this company. This company is strong and stable...and that's how I'm starting to see myself. Nothing like the broken, lost, confused, and unbalanced girl from high school.

I was no longer Amber Rivera, the girl who played basketball in High School, or Amber who went to Don Lugo High School. I became Amber Rivera...aspiring video editor.

Just Amber.

Independent.

Caring.

Reliable.

Trusting.

Me.

~ A

4 Comments


  1. Kim says:

    I'm glad you are finding you. You will be your own best friend and your own worst enemy (as you have witnessed with me) but you can't ever really know anyone else until you know yourself.

    You're going to be ok. And if not I got your back.

    Kim

    March 31, 2009 at 10:48 PM

  2. Neera says:

    Great post. You are a great person, and (while it certainly helps to have someone to lean on) being independent is a nice feeling. To be able to say "I did that, on my own. I made it on my own" is a great feeling.

    I agree, you are: independent, caring, reliable and trusting. Great qualities to have.

    Keep on shining. You're going to do great things, I can feel it!

    Neera

    March 31, 2009 at 10:51 PM

  3. Anonymous

    It's a nice feeling when you get to that point where you're ok being by yourself.

    I'm glad to see you're coming into your own. That particular journey never ends. And it's a scary yet exciting ride.

    "Nothing is as extraordinary as recognizing your place in this world"

    March 31, 2009 at 11:26 PM

  4. Anonymous

    Love the last part... its great that you are finding out who you are...

    ~Robin

    April 1, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Leave a Comment